Sunday, April 20, 2008

How marvelous!

In my personal worship time today I was reminded of the hymn “I Stand Amazed in the Presence”. While reflecting on my struggle, I began discussing the message He has put in my heart, the message of His blood, grace and His love and my desire for those around me to hear it. In the course of our discussion, He slipped in that the message was also for me and I am ashamed to say it took Him more than once for it to sink in. His reminder of that hymn cut me to the quick. The first verse purposeful and direct

I stand amazed in the presence
Of Jesus the Nazarene
And wonder how He could love me
A sinner, condemned, unclean.

Dealing with my response to this world as Paul once did, I am a sinner, I am condemned, and I am unclean, I am taken back not at “how” He could love me, but “why” He would. I will admit it is hard to love those that hurt you or to love those that hurt the people you do love, so after as much as I've hurt Him, why He would love me is dumbfounding, yet expressed in the second and fourth verses

For me it was in the garden
He prayed, “Not My will but Thine.”
He had no tears for His own griefs,
But sweat-drops of blood for mine. (what imagery)

He took my sins and my sorrows (of which Satan haunts me with daily)
He made them His very own;
He bore the burden to Calvary
And suffered and died alone.

He chose to love me beyond any imaginable amount and I am amazed. I cried through our talk and with a broken cracking voice began to quietly sing the hymn. By the last verse my heart was swelling with such desire for Him I wanted to cry out with such force as to shake the very foundations of the earth to where I sang the refrain over and over again -

How marvelous! How wonderful
And my song shall ever be.
How marvelous! How wonderful
Is my Savior’s love for me!

- thinking of the last line of the verse my face showered by tears and as the words became so broken and unintelligible, I began to think of my song in response. Although the words are “How marvelous, How wonderful and my song shall ever be!” does that ring true from my mind…….does it resonate from my heart……..does it resound from my soul…….does it cry out in my life. How marvelous is my song wonderful? Moreover………….do those that are around me hear it?

1 comment:

Jay said...

I hear it.

Why He would love us is a hard question, but so is why He chose a group of misfits as His disciples, why He put up with an Israel that was almost contantly in rebelion, why He didn't just make another Adam after the first one ate the fruit. The fact is that He *did* love us that much, and that our sin is no longer an issue; there is no condemnation. Knowing that, how can our response be anything but a celebration of who He is and what He has done? I saw this in you in the time we were together and I pray that you never let it fade away.