Friday, March 7, 2008

Rest to do what?

I was reading in Leviticus today and came across an interesting verse. Yes I did say Leviticus. Chapter 16:29 it says, “On the tenth day of the seventh month you must deny yourselves and not do any work.” I found it interesting that God uses the words “deny yourselves” when it comes to work. The normal association I make when I hear the word deny is that it is concerns giving up something I really like and is not something that I would want to do, for example, I must deny myself chips and queso if I am to lose weight, or deny myself the 52 inch flat panel TV if I am to replace the siding on the house, but to put it in the context of work, is it hard to deny myself work? Shoot my kids would be the holiest kids in the world if holiness was based on how much we deny ourselves work, especially when I tell them to clean their room or sweep the floor. So why did God put that part in there? If I didn’t take in the whole scripture I think I could start a pretty fast growing ministry with “No Work” as its theme. Yet He explains a bit more in the next verse, “because on this day atonement will be made for you, to cleanse you…It is a Sabbath rest ” You see, my fleshly nature which is in constant battle with the Holy Spirit is to deny that I’ve sinned and need atonement. Because His knowledge of me penetrates to the inner recesses of my heart, He understands that it is enough work for me to focus on my atonement and I don’t need the distractions of earthly responsibility even if I keep my sin list short. As a result, today, the Sabbath has become a bit clearer.

1 comment:

Jeff Reininger said...

very interesting. on a random side note concerning this passage (Leviticus 16:29) i was watching Dr. Phil a few weeks ago (home sick) and they had a guy on the show who said that God had called him to quit his job because of this passage. In turn, his family had no money, their utilities had been shut off, his in-laws were furious (their grand children should not live in filth) etc. needless to say, he was hunting for single lines to pick out of scripture for his choosing, rather than reading the entire passage and taking it in context.

also, aren't we called to honor and worship God with all things we do, including work. so when we work we should do our best job all the time, as to give honor to Him. tough sometimes!