Monday, February 25, 2008

Do you still...

Okay, I am still in the boat with the disciples huddled together scared of the awesome power of Christ. I’ve been focused on His question “Why are you afraid?” but to answer that question I must first answer the second question that Christ asks his disciples, “Do you STILL have no faith?” In the storm it is hard, at least for me, to see beyond the wind and the rain however I know that it is my choice to trust Him regardless if He calms the storm or not. The key to it is that my choice has absolutely no bearing upon His nature. The truth that He can calm the storm does not hinge upon whether I choose to trust Him or not. What I choose to believe in does not shape the nature of God to formulate an outcome. It would be my unfaltering trust in His will that would make the noise of the storm mute and this is blatantly demonstrated by Christ asleep in the boat. Therefore, the question Christ poses to His disciples is the same question I must ask myself as I go through storms that I face, “do you still have no faith?” My faith in Him is expressed in the way I live my life day by day, moment by moment. How I answer His question if I still have no faith will tell if I wither in failure or conquer in joy and unfortunately I have found that my answer is always changing.

1 comment:

Jeff Reininger said...

awesome! we actually talked about pretty much the same thing at our retreat this weekend. we should always pray in faith, not fear!